A Trusted Legal Adviser For New York Adoptions For More Than A Decade
Families are formed in many different ways. At Talmud Law, we are passionate about helping families come together through all forms of adoption. We also represent birth mothers who wish to place their child in an adoptive home, helping them understand their rights regarding financial assistance, choice of adoptive parents and options once the adoption is completed.
My practice is focused on family law matters. I work with clients in Erie County, Niagara County, the Greater Buffalo metro area and throughout the region. My comprehensive knowledge of laws governing adoption in New York, as well as my insights on interstate and international adoptions, allows me to develop practical and effective strategies for my clients.
I strive to minimize the legal costs of adoption as much as possible. In some cases, I can inform clients how much their adoption will cost at the beginning of the process. Call to schedule an appointment.
Understanding The Lawyer’s Role
Regardless of whether you choose to adopt privately or through an agency, the state of New York requires that an attorney represent you throughout the process. It is wise to work with a lawyer like myself, who works with adoption clients regularly and who has extensive experience processing New York adoptions.
Adopting a child can be a joyous time, but all applicable regulations must be carefully followed or it can result in a failed placement and prospective adoptive parents who are emotionally devastated. I help adoptive parents reach out to birth parents in all adoptions. I also help birth parents and adoptive parents avoid any potential legal pitfalls while interacting with each other.
I am a comprehensive resource for parents and prospective parents in upstate New York who need help with:
- Adopting through an agency — A licensed agency does not serve as the advocate for adoptive parents.
- Private adoption — In private adoptions, adoptive parents work directly with an expectant mother without assistance from a licensed agency.
- Adopting a stepchild — This is a common adoption, but one that can be loaded with complex legal issues to resolve.
- Same-sex couples and adoption — Often referred to as “second-parent adoption,” this offers a nonbiological parent the opportunity to obtain legal parental rights.
- The role of social media in adoption — Technology can be of great help in matching prospective adoptive parents with a birth mother. We ensure that privacy issues and other important factors are properly followed.
- Birth mothers’ rights — Birth mothers have a right to participate in all phases of adoption planning. We help birth mothers navigate the adoption process and ensure their rights are protected.
A Legal Resource For Adoptive Parents
In addition to my services, I will provide my personal network of social workers, mental health professionals and additional lawyers if necessary. I welcome the opportunity to answer your questions and recommend an effective course of action during a free consultation. Call or use the online contact form on this website to schedule a meeting.